Skip to main content

Vacating past drug convictions

Learn how we can help you get a drug conviction vacated under the Supreme Court's Blake decision.

In February 2021, the Washington Supreme Court ruled that the state’s felony drug possession law is unconstitutional. (The law is also known as Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance or VUCSA - possession). The case is called State v. Blake. Any person convicted of certain drug offenses before February 2021 could get those convictions invalidated.

This relief can help a person:

  • In prison whose sentence was increased due to a conviction for felony drug possession could get their sentence shortened.
  • On probation (or community custody supervision) due to a conviction for felony drug possession (or attempted possession) could have their probation period stricken or shortened.
  • With past felony drug convictions could have them removed from their record and get any fines and fees they paid refunded.

How to request help

If you, a friend, or a family member have a drug conviction from King County, a lawyer from the King County Department of Public Defense may be able to help. Fill out our online Attorney Request form and, once completed, hit the submit button. An attorney will review your case history and get in touch with you as soon as we can. 

If you're looking for a refund of legal financial obligations related to a drug conviction in King County, reach out to the Blake Refund Bureau.

If you have further questions about vacating a drug possession conviction, you can email