Skip to main content

If you have a complaint about your Public Defense attorney

The Department of Public Defense reviews complaints or concerns only about King County public defenders. We cannot investigate complaints against private attorneys, judges, prosecutors, or attorneys in other jurisdictions.

Here's what to do

  • Only the defendant, the party being accused in court, may file a complaint, including juveniles. Family members or other third parties cannot file on behalf of the defendant.
  • We do not accept anonymous tips.
  • Your submitted complaints may be subject to disclosure as a public record. 

Tell your attorney

Many complaints can be resolved by talking directly to your attorney. 

You can reach your attorney directly by finding the division number for your attorney on our contacts page.

Or, if you have the attorney's first and last name, you can look up their phone number using the county's online directory.

File your complaint

If you want to file a complaint, write a letter that includes your:

  • Name and address
  • Attorney's name
  • Case number and charge
  • Complaint in detail

Send your letter to:

King County Department of Public Defense
710 Second Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104